Multiple Teams · Strong Defense + Big Goals + Good Fortune = Quality Varsity Win

There’s a saying that goes “it’s better to be lucky than good,” but the Flatbush Boys Varsity Hockey team would amend that to say “it’s better to be lucky AND good.”  Well, the Falcons were just that on Saturday night (11/11) when they topped the YDE Thunder by the score of 5-2 at the Aux Nest in Brooklyn, NY.


The Falcons came in looking for their third win of the season, and early on it looked like it might be a very easy task as Flatbush jumped out to the early lead behind a goal and an assist each from Mo Goldman and Steven Sutton, but they soon yielded equalizers to the Thunder’s top scorer Edgar Chkalo and the game was all even at 2-2 after one period of play.


The second period was all about the defense, for both teams, with Flatbush goaltender Michael Chattah coming up with a number of big saves for the home squad.  A little over midway through the period, Flatbush retook the lead on another goal from Sutton.  The teams would keep the pressure on, and the Falcon defense was up to the task, led by Eddie Sorscher who worked tirelessly to tie up YDE’s top threats while also doing his best to anchor the mid-line to keep the puck in the zone when Flatbush had possession.  It looked like the lead might go by the boards, when with 1:52 left in the period, Falcon Daniel Srour was sent off for high sticking.  For the first time of note, Flatbush was lucky and good.  The good was evidenced by Goldman holding the puck in the Thunder zone for the first 30 seconds of the Srour penalty.  The lucky was in the way YDE missed on a nearly open net as a shot from the point went wide of the mostly vacated goal, then watched as a centering pass slowly bounced over a Thunder stick blade harmlessly out of the zone.  Sutton’s goal would be the only one of the period, and Flatbush held a 3-2 advantage heading into the second intermission.


In the final period of play, the pipes were very kind to both teams’ goalies, with Chattah getting huge help on a hard angle shot that passed completely behind him, hit the pipe ands ricocheted out to midcourt.  YDE had similar good fortune much later in the period a Flatbush rip hit the crossbar.  With under three minutes left in the game, Flatbush got the break it was hoping for when Defensemen Rafi Nemet drove home a blast from far out off a pass from Mark Shalam’s face off win.  Goldman iced the game with his second goal from a Sutton breakaway pass with 2.1 second left, sealing the 5-2 victory.