Boys Junior Varsity Hockey, Boys Varsity Hockey · Falcons and ‘Canes Trade Lopsided Scores in JV/V Doubleheader

The Flatbush Falcons and HANC Hurricanes played back-to-back Boys Hockey games that each ended in scores of 10-3 on Tuesday night (11/21), with the JV contest going in favor of the host Falcons who took the opener on the strength of a breakout second period while the Varsity game was won by the Hurricanes as they pulled away in the latter half of the 3rd Period in games played in the Aux Nest in Brooklyn, NY.

The JV’s opened up the night’s action, and both teams controlled the puck well for the first few minutes, with neither team gaining an advantage.  That changed at the 9:31 mark, when the Flatbush defense could not clear the ball and the Hurricanes lifted a nifty shot over the shoulder of Albert Chehebar into the top corner of the net to open the scoring.  Flatbush upped the defensive intensity at that point, but it looked like the score might slant more towards HANC when Bobby Anteby was called for a penalty at 4:10.  Instead, the Falcons put on a stellar penalty-killing display.  Superb stick work from Marty Elmekies kept the ball under Faltbush control for the first 30 second of the penalty.

Then, things got a bit hectic.  The game official initially announced that Anteby would be out of the box at the 3:40 mark.  That was a mistake, as that would only account for 30 seconds of penalty time.  He later verbally corrected it (and the clock had displayed the correct time all along), but Anteby was focused on what he originally heard, and when he came out of the box way early, he was immediately whistled for another penalty.  An additional 1:30 was added on to the original penalty.  But, the Falcon penalty kill was rolling.  The unit killed off the full 3 minutes of penalty time, getting off a few shorthanded shots along the way.  Those “kill” skills would be tested into the next period, as Michael Esacava was whistled for a tripping penalty in the waning seconds of the period, and the teams went into the first intermission with HANC holding a 1-0 advantage on the board, and a 4-on-3 advantage on the floor.


True to the form this team has shown all season, the Falcons came out with sticks blazing in the second period.  Trailing, the Falcon offense picked up a quick goal to even the score, but gave up two more to make the game 3-1 in favor of the Hurricanes.  After pulling within one, the Hurricanes took a penalty.  Just 12 seconds into the HANC error, Elmekies was whistled for interference.  It proved to be the key moment in the game.  Spurred by the open court play of the 3-on-3 , Flatbush flipped the score with two goals in a twenty second stretch, one from Gerry Sabbagh and the other from Joseph Maymie.  But they weren’t done.  Maymie would strike again just after Elmekies came out of the box.  Then came the sweetest goal of the game.

Maymie took the ball on the wing and slipped a beauty of a pass to Anteby for another Falcon score.  A big part of the Falcons’ success in the period was the inspired play of Chehebar in goal.  Whike the offense was busy ringing up goals, Chehebar locked down the Falcon net, making sure nothing would get past him.  After two periods of play, and 5 unanswered goals later, Flatbush held a 6-3 lead.

A breakaway goal by David Shaham at 9:23 kept the Falcon scoring parade going. Along the way, the defense killed off another penalty.

Escava got Flatbush goal number 8 poking a rebound behind the leg of the HANC goalie.  He then registered number 9 just 30 seconds later tucking it under the 5-hole, from right in front of the net. Elmekies made it an even 10 goals with a power play strike at 2:10.  Chehebar made the goals stand up, as the clock hit 0:00 signaling the end to the 10-3 Flatbush win.

The Varsity teams took the floor next, and it took a little over two minutes for Murray Dweck to make his presence felt, giving Flatbush the early 1-0 lead, but then putting his teammates on the penalty kill with a delay of game penalty just a minute later.

HANC took advantage, beating the defense and neophyte goaltender Rafi Nemet to even the score. Nemet came up with a number of strong saves after that, but he would yield two more goals in the period, the result of additional work needed when the defense failed to make a clean clear.  The last few minutes were played primarily in the Hurricane zone, with a number of nice combinations from the pairing of Dweck and Mo Goldman.  No goals resulted, though, and HANC held the lead at the first intermission, 3-1.

The 2nd Period saw the return of Michael Chattah to the Flatbush pipes, and he came up with a flurry of nice, as well as some lucky, saves in the first two minutes. But 20 seconds later, it was an unlucky bounce after a nice save that beat him, and gave the Hurricanes a 4-1 lead.  But Flatbush kept pushing, and  at 5:54 Sutton drew a penalty to put Flatbush on the power play. They doubled it 12 seconds later when HANC was called for delay.  Things then went from the ridiculous to the sublime when shortly thereafter, the officials had not only sent off Goldman, they penalized Dweck and a HANC player for roughing.  It took nearly ten minutes for the officials to sort everything out!


In the end, Flatbush finally put a second score home, this one also by a persistent Dweck, leaving the score 4-2, with both teams still having a player in the penalty box and the teams playing 3-on-3.  The Hurricanes got it back, though, with the teams even and just over 2 minutes left in the period, as a Hurricane defender let fly a blast from deep in his own zone that zipped over the right shoulder of Chattah into the top corner of the net. Dweck drew another penalty against HANC with under a minute to play, putting Flatbush back on the power play.  Eddie Sorscher nearly got the goal back, ringing the post, but coming away empty.  The score stood 5-2 at the second intermission, with the Falcons still on the power play to start period number three.

Dweck completed the hat trick with a rebound score a few minutes in, cutting the deficit again to just two goals.  But, the Falcons would get no closer.  HANC countered with another goal that squeaked under the leg pad of Chattah after a strong initial save. The chippiness that was evident in the second period came to a head a few minutes later when Dweck was shoved headfirst into the corner, drawing a major penalty. But, Flatbush then lost the man advantage, along with forward Mo Goldman, when Goldman retaliated, drawing a game misconduct for being the “third man in.”  HANC scored shortly thereafter to go up 7-3.  HANC would score three more times before the last buzzer, thus arriving at the 10-3 final score.

NEST NOTES:  The win for the JV Boys is the team’s second in a row, and lifts their record to 2-2 on the season.  They will look to go over the .500 mark for the first time this season when they host the Kushner Cobras next Thursday night at the Aux Nest.  Game time is slated for 7:30 pm.

For the Varsity, the loss was their first outright loss of the season (the team had an overtime loss in their game at Magen David), and it drops their record to 3-1-0-1.  They will look to get back on the winning track when they return to action on Monday night, November 27, at HAFTR.  Game time is 7:15 pm.