Boys 8th Grade Soccer Spring, Girls 8th Grade Soccer · MD Soccer Boys & Girls Split Home Doubleheader

The Flatbush Middle Division Soccer teams hosted a doubleheader on Thursday night (4/19), and while both the girls and boys had equally impressive performances on the floor, the girls came away with a loss while the boys took home a win, the girls falling by a score of 7-2 to HAFTR while the boys wona 4-3 decision over YDE at the YoF Elementary School Gym in Brooklyn, NY.

The girls took the floor first, and from the start showed that they were ready to play.  Flatbush’s defense marked the Hawks well at the outset, and Sarah Laniado made a few nice saves.  Five min in, Jamie Shamah fed Sophia Jemal with a set up pass in front of the goal to give Flatbush a 1-0 lead.  But in the next two minutes, HAFTR got behind he defense for three straight goals. Jemal struck again, this time off a feed from Leah Burger at the 13 minute mark, making it a 4-2 game.  The Falcons defense tightened up, with Joy Shayo and Talya Shamoelian keeping Laniado’s crease clear.  But with under two minutes to play in the half, the Hawks got a pass through the crease, catching the defense out of position and finally getting another past the stingy Laniado.  Shamah nearly got it back with 30 seconds left, but was denied. At re half, it was 5-2, HAFTR.

The defense was sharp for both teams at the start of the second half, with Laniado coming up with a number of nice saves for Flatbush.  The Falcon tandem of Linda Gindi and Jen Mosseri nearly got Flatbush back on the board, but the Hawks keeper just managed to hold on to the ball between her feet.  It was HAFTR that scored next, though, after being denied for over 11 minutes.  Jemal almost scored again for Flatbush, but it was HAFTR wow again got the ball in the goal, with 6 minutes left to play, taking a 5-goal lead.  Burger set up Jemal once more, but Jemal‘s shot pushed just wide.  So it was only fair that Jemal would return to favor, and Burger knocked her centering pass home with 2:25 left in the game. Flatbush would get no closer though, and fell to the HAFTR Hawks, 7-2.

The boys took the court next, facing off with crosstown rival YDE.  Flatbush carried the play early on, with Aaron Vays, David Sued and Samuel Mandler pressuring the YDE goal often.  On defense, Josh Romano patrolled the Flatbush net keeping it clear.  Just over four minutes in, Vays made the pressure pay off, beating the Thunder Keeper for the early lead.  YDE answered right back with a shot into the high left corner.  No worries, though, as Vays got the goal back, and Flatbush had a 2-1 lead. Flatbush had a few looks at a two-goal lead, but came up empty.  Then, Romano let one roll just under his reach, and things were all even at 2-2. It went back and forth the rest of the half, with neither team able to score, and it looked like it would remain deadlocked in to the half.  But with 2:30 remaining in the half, Vays drilled a low, hooking shot that found the low, left corner for a Falcon score.  At the half, Flatbush led, 3-2.

The Falcons continued to pressure the Thunder goal, and Sued nearly made it pay off 7 minutes in, but his shot hit the post and bounced through the crease. A minute later, the Thunder drilled a blast from the wing, and the game was tied at 3-3.  Sued responded for Flatbush, sticking ball into the corner to take back the lead with 14 minutes left to play.  The defense rose up, and with Romano denying everything that came near his goal, the Falcons denied the Thunder any chance at sending the game into overtime.  When the final buzzer sounded, Flatbush was victorious by the score of 4-3.